Long Term Strategic Goals
Learning together ...
- Provide an environment for children to become resilient, independent, collaborative, accurate and reflective, and be confident and excited for their next challenge.
- Create a supportive, inclusive culture where all staff and all children thrive and ambition is nurtured.
- Strengthen the positive partnership between school, parents, church and community.
- Continue strong governance and robust leadership throughout the school.
... for life in all its fullness
- Make learning inspiring and challenging by offering a broad, exciting, relevant and outward-looking curriculum where reading is at the heart of everything.
- Ensure children progress, succeed and achieve to meet expectations and beyond.
- Understand and live a full life through the Christian values of creativity, friendship and community, service, thankfulness, perseverance and truthfulness within our distinctively Christian setting.
The central theme of our curriculum is Learning together for life in all its fullness. Our goal is to make learning inspiring and challenging by offering a broad, exciting, relevant and outward-looking curriculum where reading is at the heart of everything and ensure children progress, succeed and achieve to meet expectations and beyond.
Our Reception Class children follow the EYFS curriculum, whilst our children in Years One to Six follow the new Primary National Curriculum which was introduced in September 2014.
We have a skills-based approach to teaching and learning, with children encouraged to identify areas of particular interest to them within each subject or topic being taught. Under the new Primary Curriculum, children are expected to master specific skills and subject knowledge by set points. Our curriculum map has been designed to ensure that children are able to build upon previously taught skills and knowledge. For each class, we have created engaging and stimulating topics through which we can harness children's passion for learning and drive their acqusition of key skills.
Please see each class page to view the yearly curriculum maps. If you would like any additional information then please see your child's teacher or Mrs Phillips, Deputy Headteacher. For further information on Reading and Phonics, please see link opposite.
Our curriculum is organised to engage the children as successful learners, developing their knowledge, subject skills and learning skills as well as their self confidence and self esteem. Our curriculum is designed to make learning relevant, exciting, stimulating and progressive. We expect children to be fully involved in their learning, developing their academic, social and personal skills throughout the school day and at home.
Children do not learn if they only ever work in their comfort zone. Children at St Aldhelm's know that they will be challenged, will often not 'get it right' first time, will be expected to show resilience and will work with different people for different purposes. Children are encourage to see mistakes as an opportunity for learning and a step to future success.
Our wider curriculum is based upon enquiry questions where the children are encouraged to share prior knowledge as well as areas that they would like to investigate further. Where appropriate, links between subjects are build on and used and educational visits and visitors are encouraged to engaged and inspire children.
Within all areas of learning, children are encouraged to be proactive, to plan and learn independently and to pursue areas of particular interest to them, allowing them to apply their successful learning skills independently.
To support this, our Behaviour policy, designed with the children, makes explicit that key learning behaviours (resilience, independence, collaboration, accuracy and reflection) are promoted, celebrated and rewarded.
In light of the Education Inspection Framework and impact to learning following school closures, our curriculum is currently being reviewed and developed by Subject Leaders. As these curriculum documents are finalised, shared and agreed, these will be uploaded below.